These may not be necessary, but they’re certainly important in my book.
This started out as ten signs that you’re marriage is healthy, but as I started typing, I realized I was actually describing what I would want out of my significant other. Either way, these are some really good ideas for anyone looking to put a little spark back in their relationship. These ten things are the basics, and are great for building, or re-building the foundation of your relationship.
1) Argument enders. Sometimes when couples argue, they get to a point where they have to just agree to disagree. Rather than settling for an answer that doesn’t quite sit well with you, accept their opinions, and trust that your partner is going to do whatever is in the best interest of your relationship.
2) Signs of affection. Kissing and hugging your partner shouldn’t be only reserved for special occasions, but rather implemented throughout your day, morning, noon, and night.
3) Saying “I love you”. Saying those three magic words shouldn’t be an option. Whether it’s to show acceptance or reaffirmation, it is absolutely vital that couples proclaim their love for each other frequently.
4) Positive thinking. Focusing on the positive aspects of your partner and relationship keeps the mood light and helps when it comes time to forgive.
5) Holding hands. It’s more than just a sign of affection, holding hands and being next to each other symbolizes a tight bond and commitment. It says “We’re going to do this together, as a team, not as individuals”. Together you can accomplish anything.
6) Take an active interest. Whatever your hobbies and interests were before you met your love, now is a great time to learn something new. Taking an active interest in your significant other’s passions can open doors to new adventures together, building memories that are unique to only the two of you.
7) The little things. Sometimes it’s not about the big gifts you get them on their birthday, but the little things you continue to do daily. Reaching out to your partner through love notes, text messages, and e-mails is a great way to help each other melt away the stresses of the daily grind.
8) Be proud of who you are, where you’re from, and how you got there. Don’t be shy about telling that sappy story about how you first met and fell in love. Be proud of your significant other, the life that you have together, and the accomplishments you both have achieved. Don;t forget to mention your future goals, it will help you stay on track.
9) A simple ‘good morning” and “good night”. This was always a big thing for me because it showed that we would both begin and end our day with each other. You’re the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning and the last thing I see before I close my eyes. Everything else in my day doesn’t even matter.
10) Which brings me to going to bed together. I understand that schedules sometimes don’t permit this, but if at all possible, go to bed with your significant other. Even if they’re tired and going to sleep but you’re not quite ready yet, at least lay next to them and read a book or watch television- cuddle up and just enjoy that down time together.